As part of my studies in the Entrepreneurial Journalism unit at Curtin University, I have been reading Media Innovation and Entrepreneurship, edited by Michelle Ferrier and Elizabeth Mays. The first chapter looks at Developing the Entrepreneurial Mindset.
My takeaways from the chapter include:
- The 21st century has shown that technology is rapidly evolving and has resulted in changes to the media industry.
- While there has been a decline in newspapers, the way journalism will be conducted will change in comparison to the previous century
- The ability for individuals to access technology, and the Internet to produce and consume the written and spoken word, audio, photos, and videos have changed the way journalists and media organisations distribute content.
- Journalists should be looking out for new ways to innovate in journalism, the media industry, advertising, and marketing.
- Storytelling is still valuable despite the changes within the media horizon.
- The quest for media companies to keep up with changes in the industry is a challenge as well as keeping up with the changes in consumer behaviour.
Parts of the chapter I want to further explore include:
- Niche digital platforms – Techcrunch, Venturebeat, Mashable, ReadWriteWeb and News & Guts.